Come and learn a new (old) skill in beautiful Carmarthenshire. We run one day and two day ‘learn to smith’ courses for beginners. Never so much as picked up a hammer? Don’t worry, we are used to teaching complete novices – we don’t expect you to have any pre course knowledge or skill. Aaron uses his teaching skills to gently guide you through the whole process, explaining each step comprehensively and allowing you to work at your own pace.
Small groups (rarely more than 4 at a time) ensure that you are given individual and personal attention. He will also provide you with lots of useful nuggets of information, whether that is about technical aspects or historical and cultural elements of smithing. With more than two decades of blacksmithing experience under his belt, there is not much Aaron doesn’t know about the art and craft of the smith, feel free to ask questions.
On a one day course you will learn most of the the basic skills for blacksmithing. You can expect to make 2 items. This may include a simple poker and some useful kitchen hooks.
One day courses are run on a Saturday. Costs are £130 per person.
A two day course extends the skills learnt on day one. You will make around 4 items to take home with you – a typical collection would be a simple rat tail poker, two hammer in beam hooks, two cooking hooks and one other larger item (either a hanging basket bracket or candlestick). If there is something in particular you would like to have a go at email us and let us know.
Two day courses run over a weekend – Sat 10.00am to 5.00pm and Sun 10.00am 5.00pm. Costs are £260 per person per weekend.
You can buy one and two day blacksmithing course vouchers through our online shop - once you have received your voucher you will need to contact us for availability and to book. Vouchers are valid for one year from dispatch, Please note vouchers cannot be refunded so please ensure that, if you are buying it as a gift, that the person receiving it is likely to want to do it.
“I was impressed with how much we managed to get through and how much I had to take home” course attendee
Who would want to come on a blacksmithing course?
It is surprising – we have had art and design teachers, students hoping to take their skills further and apply for full time smithing courses, people have bought them as presents for family members.
Here are some ideas
- Why not buy a course for a special day such as father’s day or a birthday. You can pay for the course in advance and we will send out a personalised gift certificate that can be redeemed at any agreeable time over the following year. Don’t forget mother’s day – it is not only men who smith.
- Couples – why not book yourselves a ‘smithing together’ course and learn a new skill together? Combine it with a romantic long weekend near the beach.
- Brides to be/ grooms to be – what about making your own candlesticks for the top table?
- Doing up a barn or other building? Why not learn how to make your own door furniture or door knocker – make a little piece of your dream home with us.
- Planning a holiday in west Wales? – why not incorporate a day or two in the forge as part of your holiday and take back something really special to remind you of your stay.
- Stressed out? Feeling the need to hit something really hard? Smithing is great for getting it out of your system.
- Smiths in the family tree? – why not come and have a go and experience what your great, great grandfather did?
Courses are only available for those 18 years of age or older and are not suitable for individuals with arm/shoulder or back problems or mobility issues that would exclude them from standing at the anvil and forge.
ALL BLACKSMITHING COURSES ARE HELD IN ST CLEARS, 10 MILES WEST OF CARMARTHEN - DO NOT FOLLOW THE MAP FOR THE SHOP - FOLLOW THE ATTACHMENT WE SEND OUT WITH THE BOOKING